Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney.

Some forum members are creating their family tree. You may find some useful links and information here to help you. You can always ask if you're not sure. You can also use this section to post names of people you have lost touch with.

Moderator: ladyDeWint

Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney.

Postby Inspiration » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:35 am

Hi

From 1853 onwards Victoria Park Cemetery existed in Hackney in East London, not far from Bow and just opposite the western end of Old Ford Road.

I have just discovered that through their online indexes a couple of my great, great grandfathers sisters who died in infancy were buried there. Elizabeth Sarah Coombs and Clara Hannah Coombs who died in 1860 and 1862 in Colvill Place, Tottenham Court Road in central London. Burials at Victoria Park were for people from all over London as many of the deceased came from St Lukes, Blackfriars, Pancras and Southwark.

I wonder what made the Coombs, who lived near Oxford Street in Central London, choose a cemetery in the East End to bury 2 of their children? They did marry in Hackney church in 1856 but St John, Hackney is about a mile north of Victoria Park Cemetery.

Inspiration
Inspiration
No longer shy!
No longer shy!

Re: Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney.

Postby valk » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:25 pm

My Nan and Grandad are buried in Abney Park Cemetry Stoke Newington.
Me & my bruv
valk
15K Diamond
15K Diamond

Postby Inspiration » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi

Maybe the cemetery was popular as many of the burials were for people all over London. Good that they went to the East End as that is where the mother Clara was from as was her family.

Inspiration
Inspiration
No longer shy!
No longer shy!

Postby Barryoneoff » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:54 pm

I never knew there was a Victoria Park cemetery. :?
Iron rusts from disuse; stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind. http://www.justgiving.com/VictoriaCarter
Image - Image - Image - Image
Barryoneoff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shirley » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:48 am

Nor did i, except for the old Jewish one in Lauriston Road.
Shirley

Return to Tracing your family history or searching for a lost friend or relative.